Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Persevere! God is with us!

Jeremiah 32:17 (New International Version)
"Ah, Sovereign LORD, you have made the heavens and the earth by your great power and outstretched arm. Nothing is too hard for you.



As I am writing down this blog, the TV set is on. With the interesting variety show on air, it’s a bit hard for me to concentrate on writing my blog, especially when I want to write something about my God.


Thus I went to sis kless’ blog. There is a very nice melancholy music in her blog. Whenever I need to pen down my thoughts, or write poems, I will need to listen to melancholic music. There was once when I was listening to Kevin Kern’s “Love First Smile” while writing a poem. All of a sudden the music ended, my thoughts were disrupted and could not continue with the poem until the music starts again. Haha…


These few days have been victories after victories for me in my workplace. After I have written my previous entry, I felt so much empowered as I reminded myself of God’s goodness in my life. With God in my life, I can be bold and courageous. I can be confident and excel in everything that I do.



I want to thank for His strength and comfort. Recently I was in a meeting with higher management people from another company, all of a sudden my boss has to meet our CFO and he asked me to chair the meeting. I remembered facing a very “inquisitive and firm” director and was very worried that she will ask me lots of questions. Yet everything went on smoothly and I was able to convey my points in a concise manner. The following week I have a tel. conference with my colleagues in India. But I think I was very nervous and did not speak well. This incident did not stumble me. I tell myself to work harder at presentation and be confident at it. Today I was invited to a training seminar to give a 15 to 20 mins talk. At first my mind went black out, nearly could not continue with what I was supposed to say because I was too nervous. But I resist this fear, but cling on the Word of God. I could almost feel that I was fighting the “fear” devil in my heart! This talk ended well eventually, with me stepping out in faith and speaking out loud with confidence.


These few days are hectic. But I have been reflecting on lots of things. No matter how many times we have failed, we must never give up. Even when we feel as if we are a failure, even when all things seem hopeless, even when it seems like nothing is ever possible anymore, remember this – With God, All things are Possible.


Remember that God has come to give us a Hope and a Future (Jeremiah). He is a good Father who cares for us, who will never give us bad things. Like an earthly father who will protect and take care of his earthly son, so is our Heavenly Father. It is important that we must be strong and be strengthened in God, knowing that God is always stealing a glance at his children, always ready to extend His loving hands to us whenever we fall. We must never let negative thoughts, or consequences of failure dwell in our mind. We must never be afraid to fail. We must have the spirit of Abraham Lincoln.


This recent article from Crosswalk further confirmed my reflection. Looking at Abraham Lincoln, how could we ever fail more than he did? Yet in all these, he emerged more victoriously than ever before.


Hang on to Hope
This devotional was written by Jim Burns

Since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.— Hebrews 12:1-2

Do you ever feel like a failure? Some people look at the life of Jesus and say that He failed. He was born in obscurity. For most of His life He was a lonely carpenter. For three years He traveled as an itinerant preacher, and for those three years of effort He really didn't have many disciples and no substantial following to speak of. He died in shame with two common prisoners alongside Him. If the story stopped here, all would consider Him a failure. But the story continues, because three days later He rose from the dead, ascending into heaven and now sitting at the right hand of our Father!

If you feel like a failure, you're in good company. Abraham Lincoln had more failures than victories, yet some would call him the greatest president the United States has ever had. Look at his life for a moment. He grew up on an isolated farm with only one year of formal education. In his early years he was exposed to barely half-a-dozen books. In 1832 he lost his job and was defeated in the race for the Illinois legislature. In 1833 he failed in business. In 1834 he was elected to the state legislature, but in 1835 his sweetheart died, and in 1836 he had a nervous breakdown. In 1838 he was defeated for Speaker of the House, and in 1843 he was defeated for nomination for Congress. In 1846 he was elected to Congress but in 1848 lost the re-nomination. In 1849 he was rejected for a federal land officer appointment, and in 1854 he was defeated for the Senate. In 1856 he was defeated for the nomination of Vice President, and in 1858 was again defeated for the Senate. *

Was Lincoln a failure? Absolutely not!
He became one of the greatest Presidents in the history of the United States.

There is one word that comes to mind when I think of failure: perseverance. To persevere means to hang on, to stick with it, to press forward! The call of the Christian is to keep on looking to Jesus and moving in His direction. You can rest assured that the Bible is right when it says, "He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus" (Philippians 1:6).
So hang on - there is light at the end of the tunnel, and the light is the love of Christ .

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 10:38 pm , Blogger olenju said...

Dear Xiaowei, amen to your above entry. It's so in line with what Pastor Tan preached 2 weeks ago! Press on, Press on, Persevere. May you have a great great week ahead!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home