Saturday, February 04, 2006

Wealth

“Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend”
Laertius Diogenes



I remember a very well-known man once said that the richest person in the world is one, though may not have an abundance of time to spend, yet spend his only time with such slow pace, with quality, and with joy.


On Friday, I made a decision not to bring my laptop home. I wouldn’t want to work on a weekend night. I came home slightly earlier, reach at 7pm. Darkness has not set in, the sky is still bright. I crept into the kitchen and shout at my mummy who is cooking. She got a fright! Hahahha….. my surprise yell works!


She doesn’t need my help in the kitchen. Anyway, don’t think I can help much since I am so muddle-fingers when it comes to cooking. So I walked to the balcony.


Outside the windows is the beautiful green forest. On the right hand side is a small glimpse of grey sea separating Singapore and Malaysia. Occasionally there are
fireworks during festive seasons.


These beautiful sceneries seem to have taken a long retreat ever since I graduate and work. I have neglected them for such a long while. As I stand right there, leaning on the steel railings, gazing at the red flowers on top the trees, sun set in with the pink-blue sky colours, and feeling the cooling breeze around my self, I suddenly felt so wealthy.


If only I can have all the time in the world to sit right there, with a cup of tea, and a good book to read – I’d be the most wealthy person in the world.


This leads me to think, that it’s not possible for a person to have “all the time in the world”. We have to be occupied with some things at certain times. We have to work and study. We have to take care of people. We have to play, eat and sleep. We have to exercise and clean our houses.


Thinking about this makes me realize that all of us can be very wealthy – it’s a matter of our choice. It’s a condition of our heart and mind. It’s how we manage our time and tasks. It’s our mindset.


Time is always passing, and life is short. We should really learn cherish the people around us, and be very conscious of the things that we do, especially those that we do on a daily basis. Today, when I was driving home after cell group, I suddenly felt very conscious of my driving. I felt so satisfied just sitting in Baby Vios, and driving along CTE. I look at the roads, and the scenery, all of a sudden, I just want to thank God that I am living on this beautiful earth.


Luke 10:39-41 (New Living Translation)
New Living Translation (NLT)

Her sister, Mary, sat at the Lord's feet, listening to what he taught. But Martha was worrying over the big dinner she was preparing. She came to Jesus and said, "Lord, doesn't it seem unfair to you that my sister just sits here while I do all the work? Tell her to come and help me."


But the Lord said to her, "My dear Martha, you are so upset over all these details!


I was reading Luke in NLT and felt very impacted by Jesus words to Martha. He said she was too concerned over all the details, too occupied and busy – place priority on the wrong things.


Most of the time I am like Martha, and I pray that God will give me wisdom on the way I should live my life. That I’d be prudent and steadfast in my time management. Sometimes I should just stop worrying and relax. It may be easy to put in words about casting our care unto the Lord, but I really should put it into practice when it comes to work and problems.


And so I have tidied up my balcony, threw away some old furniture. Will be going to IKEA to buy some nice paintings to hang around balcony area. And a tall coffee table and chair to put near the windows. So occasionally we can sit around this area and enjoy the breeze as we read our books.


Gonna have “all the time in the world” in this little corner for a little luxury. Who cares when it’s Monday again……….


Labels:

4 Comments:

At 3:46 pm , Blogger Mummy Kless said...

Great entry! How many of us even remember to take time to pause & appreciate where we are now? :) Yet, life can be so meaningless if we only know how to slog.

 
At 4:10 pm , Blogger Ms. Dee said...

Hey... what church are you in? I have a friend who went there and is in search of a good church that really cares becuase the one he went to is really unfriendly.

 
At 4:40 pm , Blogger Fleur De La Lune said...

Dear Doralto, u're xiaowei also right?

So glad that your friend might want to join me for service. But just want to let u know that all church are not perfect because the people are imperfect. Don't feel offended cos of someone and lost your focus on the Greater Purpose.


i am in City harvest church. If your friend is interested to go, i can meet your friend at expo MRT and bring your friend in. You want to join us as well?

 
At 5:02 pm , Blogger Ms. Dee said...

Hi! Yes, I'm also XiaoWei but you can just call me Dory or Dora.

I'm sorry I can't join you becuase I'm in Malaysia. My friend's went there for further studies and I heard that he didn't had a good time in the church he approached. No one cared about him there. I've suggested to him to go to Faith Methodist Church becuase my grandma used to go there when she's there. I haven't heard from him so I don't know how he has been. Btw, which part of Singapore is City Harvest Church?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home